Be among the first to get a full introduction to the new Drupal 8 multilingual system from a site builder and developer perspective. Although some of the developer details may change, all the concepts are now settled and learning them would get you great advantage in building with the Drupal 8 multilingual system.
Audience: Drupal 7 site building and developer experience is required; we’ll check out all the changes for multilingual sites and how they affect you as well as look at simple developer examples for software text, configuration and content.
In the morning, you will learn how to
- Install Drupal 8 in a foreign language
- Understand the new software translation system
- Assign language and configure language assignment to different items
- Build pages with language filters and visibility
- Understand the lines between content and configuration
- Translate configuration including blocks, views and contact forms
- Configure and translate content
In the afternoon, you will learn
- How to expose strings for translation in modules and themes
- The storage and life of configuration translations
- The basics of the configuration API and configuration schemas
- Practical ways to work with configuration entities and their translations
- Simple developer practices to integrate with content translation
Disclaimer: Drupal 8 is still under active development. During this training, we will definitely hit some limitations and likely run into some bugs. We are expecting you to be comfortable with diving into a new world of moving targets.
- Gábor Hojtsy is a Drupal 8 core developer at Acquia’s Office of the CTO. In this free time, he leads the Drupal 8 Multilingual Initiative working with hundreds of contributors. He also has seven years of experience as a trainer teaching all kinds of web technologies from HTML and XSLT all the way to Drupal in Hungary.
This is a non-profit community training offered as a service in cooperation with DrupalCamp Vienna and Microsoft Austria. The fee of € 50,- covers catering and the costs of organisation.
- A working Drupal 8 environment
- Drupal 7 site building and developer experience